external h/d again

picklsey 16:17 06 Aug 05

xphome sp2
can,t get access to above when i try i get the following message

f:\is not accessible

the file or directory is corrupted or unreadable

i have had this problem before and i used the western digital tools to set up my h/d but this meant the loss of all my data.so this time i would like to try and save my data any help please.thanks.

apologies for starting a new thread on the same subject i closed my last thread.

anyway what i have found is when i go into properties of external on the general tab i see my file system is stated as raw instead of ntfs.i have tried the command promt to convert to ntfs but i still get the same error message any ideas please.once again sorry for starting a new thread on the same problem.thanks.

Kenneth-266656 16:36 06 Aug 05

Missed out on your original posting but is external drive USB. I have one and it just appears when connected in explorer as drive H.
I obviously have more volumes than you but if F is your next drive letter and its USB you see it in explorer.

woodchip 16:45 06 Aug 05

As you used western digital tools I don't think Check disc will work on it as You have loaded. Drive Overlay Software on it. You can try it in Explorer. Just right click the drive you are having probs with click properties tools check disc

picklsey 16:52 06 Aug 05

Torwalker...the drive is running of firewire although it has the option of running of usb ihave tried both got nowhere.thanks for suggestion.

woodchip...you are correct as usual can,t do a check disk.how do i post a link to my previous post.thanks for all the help.

bremner 16:54 06 Aug 05

Go to Disk Management and on the entry for the external drive does it say 'Dynamic Disk' on the left end?

picklsey 17:01 06 Aug 05

went to disc management it says

partition basic healthy. is this what you mean,thanks for your help.

bremner 17:03 06 Aug 05

Yes that is what I meant - I was ensuring that the disk was not 'Dynamic'

'Basic' is what it should be.

picklsey 17:07 06 Aug 05

do you,se think i should just reformat it again and start again,also anyone any ideas as to why it changed the file system again.thanks.

picklsey 07:08 07 Aug 05

well i done a full format using windows disk management,ran disc check a few times no errors reported.had most things backed up (lost some photo,s)hopefully i won,t get any more problems.thanks for the help on this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…