external hardrives/plug and play

Khufu 17:47 23 Nov 05

Having Just scraped myself out of a big problem on my PC, Its come to my attention, a second hardrive would save me further heart failure!!!!

I just wanted to know......I'm not a PC head, so I think a plug and play hardrive would be best for me(USB/Firewire), I know you can save mp3/photos on this, but can you save programs also, IE if I bought a Spyware nuker/Anti virus, can I store these on the external hardrive to?

So in the event of any failure, i can reset it to factory settings, and transfer everything i lost from the external drive(is this the best way to do it?)

Oh and a big thankyou for everyone who helps on here, without you guys, i'd be in a mess!

recap 09:54 24 Nov 05

You could copy your hard drive to the external, click here and see how.

PaulB2005 10:03 24 Nov 05

You can copy programs but only the installation packages.

You can't just copy the program folders once installed as the prograsms need files and settings not held in these folders.

Best to backup your photos etc to a USb drive and make a folder to store the programs in so you can reinstall them if you need to.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…