External Hardrive not recognised!!!

Lordfader 19:23 14 Dec 05

Hey guys I have a problem that I need some help with. I bought an external HD for my laptop back in May which decided to stop working about 2 months ago. I wasn't to sure if it was the drive itself or another component that was faulty so I took the drive out and put it into a friends tower type PC. The drive worked fine. So I presumed it must be the small PCB board that connects to the drive inside the casing. I bought a new board and connected everything up but again I got nothing, so.....I bought a new casing with yet another new PCB board and tried once again. The first time I connected it to my laptop, the laptop recognised a external device being attached (i got the ding dong sound) but after about 45secs the ballon above the Add new hardware icon on the task bar said the device might not be working properly. Again I tried it on my friends PC, but this time attaching it via USB (instead of internaly). The PC found it straight away, it recognised the drive but there was not icon in "My Computer" to access the drive itself. This is driving me nuts, can anyone help? Im using a Acer Travelmate 240, XP Pro, all my USB ports are working and the external drive is a Maxtor 80Gb. Cheers guys and i do apologise for going on a bit.

smokingbeagle 19:34 14 Dec 05

Can you see it in Disk Management? - Control Panel / Administration tools / Computer Management / Disk Management.
If so, it may require formatting.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:34 14 Dec 05

HAve a look in disk management does it show there?

If so rick click and format the drive.

Lordfader 20:37 14 Dec 05

Hi thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunatly its not showing in the disk management section. Im a little hasty about formatting the drive as its my back up drive. I was in the process of backing all my data up when it stopped working so its still got loads of stuff on that i need to retrieve. Any other suggestions guys?

Lordfader 20:37 14 Dec 05

Hi thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunatly its not showing in the disk management section. Im a little hasty about formatting the drive as its my back up drive. I was in the process of backing all my data up when it stopped working so its still got loads of stuff on that i need to retrieve. Any other suggestions guys?

paul 11:30 19 Feb 06

smokingbeagle, you may have unable to help Lordfader but your advice has helped me with my external HD, it is now formatting.

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…