External hardrive and back up software

allanon 21:00 09 Jun 13

I am running a new windows 7 pc and I am looking at buying an external hard drive and software to provide a back up for my system. I have suffered from problems in the past and I wish to avoid future problems. I am looking at getting at least a 2 TB hardrive as my system has a 1TB internal. I have been advised to look at the Seagate STBV2000200, and according to reviews looks a good drive. Has anyone had any experience positive or otherwise or wish to propose an alternative drive. I have about £80-£90 to spend on the drive.

In addition can anyone recommend an easy to use back up software. I am a novice so any advice gratefully received.

Thank you for your time

Procrastinus 21:10 09 Jun 13

As far as the backup software is concerned, I use the free version of Allway Sync
With the free version you are limited on the amount of data you can synchronize, so make your first sync. a copy/paste job and then you can just top up as required as new files are added.

Procrastinus 21:14 09 Jun 13

PS - try KLS Mail Backup for your emails.

john bunyan 21:30 09 Jun 13
  wee eddie 03:36 10 Jun 13

Windows 7 has it's own backup Software. So far, it has worked perfectly for me, but I've never yet, had to restore a whole Drive.

mole1944 05:43 10 Jun 13

If you have a western digital drive anywhere within your system you can download and use a cut down version of Acronis true image, i do a couple of clones of my main drive plus I use klickfree for my data as a belt and braces.

Abel 07:52 10 Jun 13

I agree with wee eddie! What's wrong with Window 7's own back-up facility? It's served me well.

hastelloy 08:11 10 Jun 13

Seagate also have a cut-down free version of Acronis true image so if you have or buy a Seagate drive you can download it.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Honor 5X review: Hands-on with the new budget phone from Hauwei's young brand

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

You can now publish data visualisations to the web from Power BI

Complete guide to Apple's campus 2, everything we know about the new spaceship HQ, plus: new drone…