external hardrive

orihuela 12:21 29 Dec 06

Another question about my new external hardrive.

I have noticed that the new DVD players have inbuilt hardrives to record freeview TV programmes. If I have a old DVD player (not recorder)can I connect it to my external hardrive and record from the TV.

I am just playing about with these ideas to save buying new equipment.

I am sure its a daft question - sorry!

UncleP 13:10 29 Dec 06

I don't think so - the required signals are not externally available with the components you specify. But if your aim is to put together a TV HD recorder, you can get internal TV cards and external tuner units which would work with your computer to provide the same functions. And you can probably store the (TV) programmes on the external HD to avoid filling up the internal disk.

I think PCA did a review of suitable units last year. If I remember correctly, the price was typically £50-£100.

Fellsider 16:33 29 Dec 06

An 'old DVD Player' is just that, a player. It will only have an output scart to play the DVD to the TV, Even if you did connect it to an external HDD where is the recording medium?

As UncleP says you will need a TV card in your PC and software to record the input. You can then record TV, DVD, Video, provided an appropriate supplying component is connected to the TV card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos