external harddrive problem

blueforever 10:35 02 Mar 08

could anyone help me with my hard drive the prob is when i turn it on after a few minutes i get message write delay fail and all data has been lost if i switch it off and back on it all appears back on drive ihave taken it back to the shop they tested it and it stayed on with no probs its a 300 gig maxtor drive i am running windows xp i have tried a new usb 2 cable made no diff hope someone can help

Pamy 12:14 02 Mar 08

you can download Maxtor diagnostic software to test the drive yourself to start with

crosstrainer 13:32 02 Mar 08

Always stop the drive using the "Safely remove hardware" Icon in the taskbar. Double click the little tick icon, choose your usb device, stop it, and THEN switch off....Failing to do this can result in data loss as you have described.

Diemmess 13:57 02 Mar 08

Perhaps the fault lies with the USB controller at the computer.
The controllers can become corrupt.

A startling (but safe) way to reset them is to go to Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager.
At the bottom of the list is USB controllers.
Open the list, and right click - Uninstall to each and every one.

Then shutdown and reboot .... Windows will install new ones for you.

wee eddie 17:34 02 Mar 08

Take care when turning your Drive "Off".

If you do not go through the "Safely remove hardware" system you may easily cause the drive to become unreadable. It's very easily done.

blueforever 20:20 02 Mar 08

thanks for your help the problem is i only have a few mins to do anything before i get message on the screen also i am new to this and a bit wary of turning stuff off and on thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…