External Harddrive - not recognised by XP

Cliff-193952 13:08 18 Feb 06

I have had a Maxtor One Touch 11 external HD for about 10 months. Originally, it worked fine, but more recently it is not recognised by XP on my PC. If I switch it on and try run>G:/ (the letter assigned to it), my system hangs. I know there was a thread on this subject some months ago, but the query then was solved when the enquirer discovered his drive was faulty and Maxtor replaced it. My drive is not faulty as it works perfectly ok on my laptop (also running XP). The PC has an Athlon 64 3400 processor, the laptop an Intel Celeron. I have tried connecting the drive both via a USB 2 port and via firewire, but this doesn't cure the problem. I uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it. The drive was recognised at that stage, but not when I switched it off and on again. In the previous thread, someone suggested leaving the external drive on, and rebooting, but this is not possible as it is not recognised as a slave drive. When I boot I do get a message now that gearsec will not load - I believe that is something to do with USB drives. Is that by any chance part of the problem? I'm sure there used to be an article on this on the microsoft site, but I cannot now find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Eric10 13:24 18 Feb 06

Have you looked in Disk Management to see if the drive is there. It may have taken the same drive letter as one of your other drives and just need its letter changing?
'Control Panel, System Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management' or right-click My Computer, Manage, Disk Management.

Hertz Van Rentyl 13:52 18 Feb 06

Have a look in your BIOS to see that all is where it should be.

Cliff-193952 18:41 18 Feb 06

Eric 10 said

'It may have taken the same drive letter as one of your other drives and just need its letter changing?'

Thanks, Eric, but no, it hasn't

D - DVD writer
E - CD writer
F - not shown (possibly assigned to removable card reader, not used now)
G - the Maxtor

Hertz said

'Have a look in your BIOS to see that all is where it should be.'

Thanks to you. but
no I haven't, what should I be looking for?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:48 18 Feb 06

External drives will not appear in the BIOS.

G appearing in Disk manager means that windows is recognising the device.

Click on G what does it show as? Healthy Active?

Hertz Van Rentyl 20:22 18 Feb 06

I have a freecom external and it certainly does appear in the BIOS so much so it took over as 1st HD until I disabled it.

Hertz Van Rentyl 20:26 18 Feb 06

I guess some are bootable and others are not

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…