external harddrive format error, now in RAW format

simh 09:53 03 Jul 10

Hi there. I have an external harddrive that I tried to format to NTFS. The format failed and now the drive is left in RAW format and appears unusable in its current state. Each time I plug the usb in Windows 7 prompts me to format the drive and I have tried but both quick formats and full formats end prematurely with a message saying the format was unable to complete. I opened Disk Management and the drive is shown as drive M Healthy (Primary Partition) in the RAW format.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get it back to NTFS so I can use it

many thanks

Ex plorer 11:13 03 Jul 10

Not sure if you were trying to convert the drive from Fat32 to NTFS to keep your information on the drive or that you wiped it and you are now trying to put NTFS on.
Is this any good click here

DieSse 11:37 03 Jul 10

In Disk Management, delete all existing partitions - then create a new NTFS partition and it will ask you to format it. Don't check the Quick Format box - let it do a full format - it may take a long time.

If it still won't work, try a complete drive erasure back to "factory" settings. Seagate have their own you can download, called Seatools (other manufacturers look for the equivalent, or let us know the make of the drive)- or try Killdisk, a free download.

Then repeat Disk Management.

I that all fails, the drive may have itself failed.

Ex plorer 14:03 03 Jul 10

Hi could you try the external HD on a different PC or Laptop and see what happens.

simh 14:52 03 Jul 10

Thanks all

I think deleting the partition might have sorted it. It now seems to have started formatting correctly (fingers crossed)

many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…