External harddrive for backup in a small business

tonyB1983 10:02 29 Apr 09

I wonder if anyone could please give me some advice.

I work in a small office environment (of around 8 employees) and our tape drive backup system has recently reached maximum capacity.
We have our server (windows server 2003 small business edition) sitting in the building opposite which stores all our network files and is backed up daily via a grandfather, father, son tape rotation system (I keep the tapes in my office to ensure offsite backup).

I am thinking of getting a networkable external harddrive and am wondering if this is the best solution and if so, which one to get.

I was thinking that I could plug it into one of the ethernet ports in our office and schedule a daily backup of the server, to run overnight. I can't connect it directly to the server because we need to have 'offsite' backup for insurance purposes.

Is this the best solution? What drives would you recommend (I think we'll need around 1TB to cope with expanding data storage needs)? I've looked at the 'Western Digital My Book' as an option, but all our machines run Windows (XP) OS's so I don't need Mac compatibility.

Many thanks

user8 15:28 29 Apr 09
  tonyB1983 18:08 29 Apr 09

Thanks user8.

But I'm looking for something far less heavy duty (and much cheaper!) Looking for something around the £80 to £180 mark.

user8 15:04 30 Apr 09
  user8 15:05 30 Apr 09

click here

(missed this 1st time!)

brundle 16:38 30 Apr 09

Using a Buffalo Linkstation NAS drive at my office - 500MB for about £100, and that was 6 months ago. Works well for backups (we also have 2003SBS) but the interface could be a little less clunky. It supports FPT and inclusion in a domain environment and you can add more Linkstations or USB drives to increase its capacity.

brundle 16:44 30 Apr 09

FPT=FTP

brundle 16:53 30 Apr 09

Further correction - it's a Linkstation Pro click here

Awfers 12:31 18 Jun 09

An external HD can be attached to a network and you can use it as a backup destination for your disk images with no problem. Try using a software like StorageCraft ShadowProtect (click here) which has saved our bacon more than once..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5