EXTERNAL harddrive

novis 11:36 08 Oct 09

I’m looking for an external storage device for my laptop – I’ve been told that some download software onto the laptop and that this is not the version to go for. Anyone have any recommendations / advice? Something I could use with my ibook as well would be ideal.

rawprawn 12:47 08 Oct 09

Some have software already installed on the external hard drive when it is new, just format it and it will disappear.
WD IBooks are good

novis 12:53 08 Oct 09

I'm not sure what you mean when you say 'just format it and it will disappear' - do you mean that a format option will appear and that I can hen just delete everything with a formatting?

Why is there software installed? What is is relevant to?

I'm concerned about the ones that want to install software onto my computer and why they would need to.

tullie 13:05 08 Oct 09

Some manufacturers do install software onto external drives.The one i bought had software to encrypt the files i put on the drive.It doesent install onto your computer.

woodchip 13:31 08 Oct 09

As above software on the Drive will be used for backing up from main drive, and may be as above Encryption

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…