External harddrive (3.5 ide) case problem

olliecrane 14:09 19 Jul 08

Hi, i have purchased a hotway smartdrive 3.5 external harddrive case and have placed my westerndigital 160gb internal harddrive inside it and plugged it into my pc usb ports.

when i switch the case on the harddrive whirs into motion and the icon at the bottom of my screen says new usb found, then it says mass storage device found. the pc makes the sound that it recognises hardware has been attached but "my computer" doesn't list the harddrive. then one minute later the pc makes the sound that it makes when hardware is disattached.

I have important files on the harddrive that i want to access and most forums i have visited that seem to show the same problem i'm having suggest formatting and partitioning the drive. would formatting and partitioning the drive through disc management lose all my files?

any suggestions on how to make my harddrive be recognised on my computer without deleting the files on the harddrive and for me to gain access to my files would be gratefully received. thanks

EARLR 14:42 19 Jul 08

Delete everything under USB devices in Device Mgr.
re boot and let windows find them again.

Good luck

olliecrane 15:52 19 Jul 08

thanks for getting back to me so soon. i did as you said but the same thing is happening still.

i forgot to say in the thread that an error message comes up at the bottom of the screen in a popup saying something to the effect of "a problem occured in the installation of the device- your new hardware may not work properly."

any more suggestions? cheers

hastelloy 15:58 19 Jul 08

Have you tried it in different usb ports in case you have a faulty one?

olliecrane 16:01 19 Jul 08

yeh. all the ports work for other devices. i have tried the drive on two computers and the same thing happens for both

Pamy 19:37 19 Jul 08

I have important files on the harddrive that i want to access and most forums i have visited that seem to show the same problem i'm having suggest formatting and partitioning the drive. would formatting and partitioning the drive through disc management lose all my files?

Yes

gazzaho 20:30 19 Jul 08

Have you tried installing it back into the computer internally? There's a chance that the hard drive case is faulty, that way you may at least be able to access your files and copy them to another location before trying the reformat method.

conrail 21:29 19 Jul 08

try right clicking my computer, select manage then disc management, if it's there in the right pane it just might need initializing?

woodchip 21:34 19 Jul 08

Is the jumper on the drive set to Master? if not it will not work

karmgord 22:43 19 Jul 08

remove ALL (normally just one,the cableselect,CLS)
jumpers,master/slave settings NOT needed when connecting via USB

MarvintheAndroid 22:48 19 Jul 08

Agree with gazzaho. Get the data off by another method if you can, before mucking about with it too much.

If the drive is showing the same symptom with more than one computer, I would suspect faulty drive or enclosure electronics.

Marv

Marv

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…