external harddrive

AA123456 11:03 03 Mar 08

I've got an old hard drive that i want to get some data off, so i bought click here to be able to connect it to my laptop. i read all the instructions and connected it accordingly. when i turned the device on i got the message that new hardware has been detected then it turned into mass storage device and displayed the name of the hard drive. (Maxtor D540X-4K) But i cannot find it anywhere. I followed the instructions on an earlier post but nothing.

It sounds like the disc is spinning but i don't know what else to try.
many thanks!

pj123 11:55 03 Mar 08

I use one of those units on both my computers.

In the System Tray (by the clock) you should have an icon that says "Safely Remove Hardware" when you hold your mouse over it.

If you click on it you will get a message something like: "Safely remove USB Mass storage device - Drive G" Mine is Drive G, yours might be different.

It should then be available in your "My Computer"

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:00 03 Mar 08

Make sure you have set the jumper on the drive to the MASTER position or it will not be seen in My computer.

skidzy 16:05 03 Mar 08

Is the drive seen in Disc management ?

Start / right click my computer and select manage / storage / Disc management.

skidzy 16:07 03 Mar 08

Also meant to say,if it is listed,right click and explore the drive.....then save your data if possible.

AA123456 21:16 03 Mar 08

how do i check if its set to master?
also when i click over safety removal i don't get a drive to select just the hard drive name.
tried the disc management, nothing..
thanks

rossgolf 21:26 03 Mar 08

on the back of the drive itself there will be a little piece of plastci over 2 pins...check on the front of the drive to see where it is meant to be.
get at it with some tweezers
make sure it is unpluged

rossgolf 21:26 03 Mar 08

thats to see if its set to master^^^^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced