External hard drives again

exdragon 08:10 30 Aug 09

Hi - I've read so many threads about these - would you say there's not really much difference between Lacie, Seagate and Western Digital? Or is it just a case of people have good and bad experiences with each? (as with most technology!)

I've got a couple of LaCies but want a 1TB, but am getting confused with the variety of models in each range.

Another LaCie would look neat and tidy on my desk, but I suppose that's not the best criterion for purchasing!

Any comments would be appreciated.

accordion 08:14 30 Aug 09

"I've read so many threads about these - would you say there's not really much difference between Lacie, Seagate and Western Digital? Or is it just a case of people have good and bad experiences with each?"

You've answered your own question really. I have used Western Digital and they have all been just fine. Someone is bound to say they are a bad choice though.

Get the one you like the look of.

Dave

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:33 30 Aug 09

You pays your money and takes your choice...

Personally I wouldn't touch a Lacie, never had any problems with either Seagate or WD

wee eddie 15:52 30 Aug 09

Producing Drives by the Case/Container full. e.g. made by the thousand, day in, day out.

Then think of the number of problems that crop up, which must be a tiny percentage of the total produced. Whichever you buy you should be OK.

I have 2 WD Drives and an old one (Seagate)filched out of a redundant PC. Touch-wood, no problems, but I did destroy an earlier one by unplugging it before it had finished writing.

wee eddie 15:54 30 Aug 09

I haven't written a CD or DVD in years.

I think that they're almost redundant as a Storage Medium.

exdragon 16:06 30 Aug 09

Hmm, just got a LaCie but haven't opened the box yet!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…