External Hard Drives

khareji 10:59 05 Jun 08

My daughter and I have both bought Maxton Basics 500GB external hard drives. When we plugged them in they showed up fine in My Comp. I've had problems with mine so have to return it to Argos. But my daughter turned on her computer today and it's not showing anywhere in My Comp! Even tried looking in Disk Management and it's nowhere to be seen! What's happened?

Technotiger 11:04 05 Jun 08

Turn on the external drives before you start up the computer!

khareji 12:06 05 Jun 08

The external drive was turned on before she turned on her computer

khareji 13:08 05 Jun 08

My daughter's hard drive is not appearing in My Computer and it keeps flashing

BBW 14:12 05 Jun 08

Often USB devices don't show on the computer. Ensure the external HD is turned on, then remove the USB plug from the external HD, then replace it in another USB socket. It should then be seen!

khareji 14:31 05 Jun 08

I don't want to sound ungrateful to your replies, but believe me we've done all of your suggestions. My daughter is quite computer literate; but due to sheer frustration, we thought we'd pick your brains. Going back to my first posting, it was just a matter of plugging it in initially and it showed up immediately; but now it's not anywhere to be found on My Computer under Hard Disk Drives! What worries me is where mine had a constant green light on, her's is blinking.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…