external hard drives

LAPTOPBABE 21:46 20 Jun 06

Does anyone know if external hard drives can be fixed? Ours has failed and taken important work, photos and all sorts with it and guess what i didn't do back ups as i thought the drive was supposed to be back in itself.
Please help.

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:48 20 Jun 06

When you do abackup you really should leave a copy on your main computer. You could try the drive in another computer. What symptoms is it showing?

DieSse 23:37 20 Jun 06

An external drive is not in itself a backup.

A backup is a duplication of data, so that if the device with one copy of data fails, you can use the other copy.

External drives are often used as backups (ie you duplicate your data off the main drive to the external drive - the important word is duplicate!)

Of course external drives can also just be used to store your main copy of the data - then, as you've found, if the drive fails you lose your data, if it's not duplicated somewhere else.

GANDALF <|:-)>s question is the important one right now - what are the failure symptoms you have? - and have you tried the drive on another computer?

With external drives, it could be just the power supply that has failed - it could be the hard drive itself, or it could be a software problem, or just some corrution on the drive. What you can do varies from cause to cause.

LAPTOPBABE 01:32 21 Jun 06

When it is plugged into the computer it is making the pc behave erractically. I have had to do a complete reinstall to get rid of a virus. Could it be the virus is on the hard drive or is that not possible? I am loathe to try it on my laptop in case it is a virus on it.

DieSse 12:28 21 Jun 06

*Could it be the virus is on the hard drive or is that not possible? I am loathe to try it on my laptop in case it is a virus on it.*

Youy must install a good, up to date AV program on your laptop. NOD32 is not expensive, and is the best - AVG or Avast are free and quite acceptable.

Then you can connect your external drive without fear of catching a virus, and you can also run a full check on your external drive.

Can you tell us what "behaving erratically" actually means - exactly what is happening?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…