external hard drives

chippy+ 15:12 11 Oct 05

hi looking for advice
i have 2 pc's each with 40G hard drives i got the chance of two 80G WD external drives at half price i would like to place all my photographs and documents on 80G drives to save space on my 40G drives could i also put a backup of xp on the 80G as well i also read about placing the page file on a seperate drive any advice would be appreciated thanks for any help chippy

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:40 11 Oct 05

You can do everything except for putting the pagefile on the external disks.

The pagefile needs to be accessable before the USB /firewire ports would be seen by windows.

woodchip 15:44 11 Oct 05

Yes to the above, page file, not needed as a backup as it's always changing.

Get a External USB2 caddy and fit one of the drives in it, set it as Master or it will not work. I would also suggest Partitioning the drive, one Partition could be Fat32 can be seen on any computer the Other Partition could be NTFS if you use that format on any of your computers as you can save files over 2Gb in NTFS you are limited with Fat32. NTFS cannot be seen on Fat32 system

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…