External hard drive woes again

exdragon 17:23 PM 28 Jun 11
Answered

I recently had a problem with a WD drive, now sorted (thanks, Woodchip), but I now have problems with another, identical one.

Initially, with the drive plugged in, the desktop would stall before Windows loaded, but a soft boot seemed to work. Now, though, it won't. The light on the external drive flashes continuously. I tried unplugging it, booting up and then plugging it back in again, but no joy. I couldn't get into Device Manager to check and I couldn't switch off in the normal way, but had to use the power button.

Bearing in mind the problems with both drives, surely I can't be doing something wrong with them can I? They used to be fine and nothing has changed,

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:34 PM 28 Jun 11
Answer

1. Disable boot from USB in the BIOS save and Exit (F10)
    1. Check AV is not set to scan on boot

2. Unplug drive and use USBDEVIEW to uninstall all external drives (windows will recognise and reinstall on reboot or re-plugging in the device

exdragon 17:40 PM 28 Jun 11

Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow.

exdragon 18:29 PM 01 Jul 11

Worked a treat - many thanks!

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus launch live: What to expect from Apple's 9 September 2015…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites