External hard drive in wireless network

RobMcConnell 20:15 29 Dec 07

Hi

Wanted to store al music/movies and photos on an external hard drive. That I can do.

But what I want to do, is be able to access the hard drive using my laptops through the wireless network. ie connect the hard drive to the wireless router.

I dont think this is possible, I have read a few articles on something called a NAS, need help not that clever. Need it in simple terms.

Thanks
Rob

retep888 20:29 29 Dec 07

Get one of these click here

Spark6 20:32 29 Dec 07

When your external drive is connected to one of your computers, and that machine is 'seen' on your wireless network, you should be able to access it!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:33 29 Dec 07

Network-attached storage is a hard disk storage system - including RAID configuration, with its own LAN IP address rather than being attached to the department computer that is serving applications to a network's workstation users. It has it's own software for configuring and mapping file locations to the network attached devices.

As these devices have an IP address they can be accessed directly rather than through an intermediary.

I don't think you can do this with a standard external hard drive but you need something like click here

RobMcConnell 22:13 30 Dec 07

Thanks guys that was really helpful. I think I am going to go with the Belkin Network USB hub, Dabs are doing a bundle with a wireless modem router, and as I need to replace mine its a good price.

The buffalo was quite a bit more expensive and did not recieve very good write ups, although it does seem an excellent piece of kit and rolls everything into one unit.

I am going to read up on which external hard drive to buy, I am sure there will be an article on here to help me, 500gb I think.

Thanks again
Rob

LittleMonster 22:10 04 Jan 08

I've just bought one of those Belkin things and it works fine with a usb memory stick - i just stick it in the usb hub and my laptop recognises it straight away as if it was connected directly to the laptop. HOWEVER, i can't seem to get the same results with my 400Gb Seagate external hard drive. I got it to recognise the drive and got some file opened, but all was forgotten when rebooting. Anyone got any ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…