External Hard Drive - Which One?

mayginny 09:12 31 Mar 05

Bear with me I'm a bit of a novice! I've recently had my computer "cleaned up" after getting a nasty Bill Gates virus (it's only 18 months old). It seems to be a good job and things are working quicker. However I was told that my daughter's music downloads and pictures take up lots of space and obviously things will get worse. I would like to get an external drive to plug into a USB port so she can save her stuff there. Is this a good idea? If so what sort of thing should I be looking at? I've seen some small slim looking ones but don't know if they will be big enough. Can anyone advise please? I'd be grateful for any help!

goonerbill © ® 09:48 31 Mar 05

Any external hard drive should be ok for the job. its down to you on size (80gb, 120gb or larger) and what format the music and pictures are save in, as i small hard drive can fill up quite quickly with children.

the only thing i would worry about is the age of you daughter, as hard drives are fragile when dropped. will you be letting her add/remove the drive from the pc or leaving it connected.

Starfox 09:59 31 Mar 05

This is the one I got,just needs plugging in and your sorted.Can well recommend it.click here

smokingbeagle 10:02 31 Mar 05

Maplins
click here
and Lidl. Check the packaging to make sure this one is USB2.
click here_

smokingbeagle 10:03 31 Mar 05
  LANDCRUISER 15:48 31 Mar 05

Try QVC.com look under ARCHOS Q DISC they are selling 160gb h/d for about £150

freaky 19:04 31 Mar 05

Maxtor One-Touch is very good. It comes in a nice case with On/Off switch, power supply socket and USB/Firewire connections at the rear of the case.

Prices vary according to the capacity required. I have had an 80GB model for a year now, it's very quiet and automatically goes into sleep mode when not being used.

Quite a few forum members have them, you can do a search of the posts and will see very good reports.

freaky 19:05 31 Mar 05

Maxtor One-Touch is very good. It comes in a nice case with On/Off switch, power supply socket and USB/Firewire connections at the rear of the case.

Prices vary according to the capacity required. I have had an 80GB model for a year now, it's very quiet and automatically goes into sleep mode when not being used.

Quite a few forum members have them, you can do a search of the posts and will see very good reports.

freaky 19:06 31 Mar 05

freaky 19:12 31 Mar 05

Everytime I posted a response I got the 'Page not available'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…