External Hard Drive versus Flash USB.(to run port.

myfoot 23:11 29 Jan 06

I'm very intersted in the aree of Portable Apps. I do not have Broadband and without moving have a long wait, so I like to use the local library for large downloads, etc.

So I can buy a Lacie External HDD 30Gb for €100, which would also be handy for some backup work,

and most 1Gb Flash USB's are very close to this in price.

So CAN I (or anbody else for that matter) run a portable application from an external USB HDD.

Have YOU done this? Is the response time faster or slower.

P.S. Are all USB 2.0s equally fast. They talk of read times, but then there are appears to be three 3 types of READ and it's all a bit too much and also very few , well just Corsair, give all read times, ie sequential, buffered, forget the other one. So does it matter which brand Again if somebody has personal experience of using the same portable app. on different brand USB and found significant difference in response times I'd like to hear. At present I use a Swissbit 128 Mg and there is 1/2 second lag between click and response,

thanks

Pamy 12:01 30 Jan 06

what are "Portable Apps" and what is Swissbit 128 Mg please. This is something I have not heard of.

myfoot 19:10 30 Jan 06

Portable Applications are programmes installed noramally on a USB Flash/Thumb drive and when used on any PC do not leave any trace or effect any change on host PC. at present I use Firefox and Theunderbird with all my favourites so that on a visit to local broadband library I just plucg it in and run it from my usb which is made by a company called SWISSBIT.

Pamy 18:38 31 Jan 06

Thanks for explanations. I would think a usb 2 of one make would run as fast as a usb2 of another make.

Usb2 is usb2 Its a standard.

Does the spead of transfere realy bother you that much?

Pamy 18:39 31 Jan 06

Thanks for explanations. I would think a usb 2 of one make would run as fast as a usb2 of another make.

Usb2 is usb2 Its a standard.

Does the spead of transfere realy bother you that much?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced