External Hard Drive turns on but isnt in windows!!

bengreenslade 10:36 18 Oct 09

Hi,
Yesterday I was using my Iomega 500GB external hard drive perfectly, it worked I was able to put data on it and get it off etc.
This morning however, its not working! When I turn it on it powers itself up from the mains (I can see the blue light come on at the side. It makes a wirring sound, this sound is constantly going and obvisiouly if i left it for a while it would get warm.
The major issue is it wont appear on my computer. When its all connected via USB etc it sits there doing nothing! Still makes the noise but windows doesnt see it as a hard drive! I have tried it on another computer running Windows XP and it just doesnt work!

What do I do as it has all my information and photos stored on it, I need to get them back!
could it be that the USB cable has blown? and in that case, what is the name of the cable I need? its like a fat rectangle going into the device and a normal USB into computer. Someone please help I am so desperate!

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:02 18 Oct 09

Can you see it in?

1. Device manager (USB mass storagedevice)

2. Disk management Right click My computer - manage - storage - disk management should show as a drive

Taff™ 11:11 18 Oct 09

Watching this one with interest. I too have an external SATA drive via USB that is suddenly not recognised by XP although mine does show in Disk Management. Just about to check what the "Patch Tuesday" upates were this week.

johndrew 11:13 18 Oct 09

Is the USB cable one of these click here click here

You could also open the case and check the connectors to the HDD (one power, one data) although the power seems fine.

If the cable and connectors are fine you could remove the HDD from its case and either install into the PC, another external case or a HDD dock to see if it works.

bengreenslade 11:15 18 Oct 09

Hi Fruit Bat,

I have had a look in both the options you said, and no the device does not appear in any of them. I have also plugged into another usb cable, same thing just from printer, and the problem still exsists.

Im really worried now!!!!!

bengreenslade 11:17 18 Oct 09

johndrew, it is the same as a printer cable, on the first link you posted then second result

Thanks

johndrew 11:19 18 Oct 09

After reading you post I plugged my external HDD in to check it; it`s fine.

bengreenslade 11:21 18 Oct 09

My hard drive is not showing up in either the device manager or disk management arghhhh!!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:29 18 Oct 09

USB device not seen then:-

Refresh USB Ports
Use Drive clean up to remove USB device drive info from the registry
click here
or
In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.
Your equipment should now be recognised.

bengreenslade 11:40 18 Oct 09

Sorry fruitbat still the same :(:(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…