External hard drive there but not there

dave8999 19:00 28 Feb 07

I have just brought a formac oxygen external hard drive 250 gb, all plugged in as instructed, lights on as expected, but i can't find it (yes I know, you'd think the light would help etc.) Looking on my computer, there is no sign of it. I went to add new hard ware, it identified it was there, no problems, went to device manager, it's there, working properly, but i can't access it.
The CD i got with it, si just short of useless, as nothing on it is readable, except the instruction manual, that gives no help whatsoever.
My machine is on xp sp22, pentium 4, 1 gb ram, so not to bad. at the moment it's a big white slab with lights on it, with absolutely no use!
any suggestions....?

Diodorus Siculus 19:07 28 Feb 07

Right click my computer

choose manage

then disk management

Can you format it from there>

dave8999 19:15 28 Feb 07

see now some mention of this in th manual would be good. went there, it was shown on the list of drives, I activated it, but still it doesn't show up anywhere.
it nows says it is online, properties says it is working, it's enable, troubleshooter doesn't help.

dave8999 20:05 28 Feb 07

pointed me in the right direction, some assistance from help within computer management, i then wondered what would happen if i created a partition on the disc, this led to it being given a drive letter, showing it on my computer, access to that led to formattting, i'm hopeful now it will be hunky dory.
thanks for your help.

terryf 20:13 28 Feb 07

It is easy when you know have and have done it once:-)

terryf 20:13 28 Feb 07

Sorry should have read 'when you know how'

dave8999 20:53 28 Feb 07

nice to know there is some actual ffree help out there. shame formac didn't provide a decent disc with a worthwhile manual. now it will get a slagging off in ciao because my first impression of it is one of stress! when will the makers learn?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…