external hard drive suddenly "not formatted"

grumpy-git 11:46 05 Nov 05

Computer locked up recently, external hard drive was connected at the time & I had to reboot the pc to get it working again.

When the external drive is connected, it recognises it, but tells me it is not formatted, & do I want to format it.

Before the problem it was fine, and contains data, any suggestions how I get round this problem please?

G-G

grumpy-git 12:36 05 Nov 05

Just hooked up the external drive to the old "ME" pc and it can read the files.

I did try & rush things a bit by removing it too soon & got a message about "flushing" or something similar.

But re-connected it to "ME" pc and it seems to work as normal BUT when I connect it to the XP pc I am still told it is not formatted.

That is strange.

If all else fails I can copy files from the old pc through the network to the XP pc, but should that really be neccessary?

G-G

grumpy-git 17:23 06 Nov 05

The old ME pc would not recognise the external hard drive, it didn't show up in Windows Explorer, but I still managed to remove it as you do with usb devices, although there was no device letter allocated to it.

No luck at all when connecting it to the laptop, but after numerous attempts with the ME pc it eventually accepted it.

I shall copy all the files which are on there now, then re-format it and give it a try to make sure it is still working properly.

Looks like I'm talking to myself on this topic?
Yes it does G-G. Oops.

PaulB2005 17:28 06 Nov 05

"I shall copy all the files which are on there now, then re-format it and give it a try to make sure it is still working properly."

That is the method i would have suggested had i seen this earlier.

Don't be too despondent if no-one answers. It just gets a bit quiet sometimes.

Let us know how you get on please.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:34 06 Nov 05

I agree if the ME PC reads it get the files off it that you require and Reformat.

Reformat as FAT32 then both the XP and ME systems will beable to see it (ME cannot read NTFS).

grumpy-git 22:27 11 Nov 05

I think it was only working at USB1 speeds & it took ages to copy the files.

There were a couple it could not read, but they were not important.

I have since reformatted it using the ME machine and when plugged into the XP machine it can now be used again.

Before using it fully I will give it extensive testing, recording tv progs on it then viewing them, and finally run scandisc or Norton disc doctor

G-G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…