External Hard Drive - Storing Music

pompeyexile 12:51 19 Oct 07

I'm a bit of a spanner when it comes to computers so please bare with me.

I have quite a large music collection (still growing) which because of storage issues I want to transfer onto hard drive without taking up all my computer.

I was looking at buying a 160gb ipod at £229 which holds up to 40,000 tunes (over 3000 cd's worth) but then notice there were external hard drives such as the Seagate FreeAgent 500gb or 750gb at £115 and £131 respectively and even cheaper 500gb models on the market for a measly £60!

So my questions are as follow:

Is a £60 version far inferior to a £131 version?
Are these units simply plug and play?
Can I transfer my Windows Media player an/or
i-tunes prgrammes onto it?
If no is there a music library/edit programme I could use?
Will I be able to sync my playlists to my MP3 player from it?
I understand Firewire and eSATA are far quicker and how do I know if my computer supports those connections?
Which is the best transfer type for optimum cd like quality?

I know the reason for the ipod's premium price but i'm not interested in the bells and whistles I just want to store, play and edit my music at the best quality possible.

My idea is to use my 8gb Nano which can still store 2000 tunes (over 160 cd's) as a portable, and plug into my hi-fi when at home.

My computer is a HP Media Centre pc m567uk

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

VideoSentry 13:38 19 Oct 07

I bought an external HD caddy and so far have used 3 different drives in it ( 2 are photos/files ) and it is USB 2 which I find no problem as it pops up as a 'drive' when switched on,as to the transfer of Media player or I tunes I see no reason but you could just use it as storage/back-up and keep the p[layers on the main drive.

DieSse 13:45 19 Oct 07

Is a £60 version far inferior to a £131 version? - probably - what makes are they?

Are these units simply plug and play? - Yes - they certainly should be - you may have to set them up for use in Disk Management.

i-tunes prgrammes onto it? - Maybe - you would have to install them onto it, you can't just transfer them. But what are you looking to acheive with this, as it would win you nothing to speak of.

If no is there a music library/edit programme I could use? - Not directly from the drive - it would have to be run on the system (where it's installed to is not relevant. See previous poit.

Will I be able to sync my playlists to my MP3 player from it? - You'll be able to do anything you have the software to do, as long as it's attached to a system.

I understand Firewire and eSATA are far quicker and how do I know if my computer supports those connections? - If it's just for playing music from, speed is not an issue anyway.

Which is the best transfer type for optimum cd like quality? - There isn't one - data is data, musical quality does not enter into it. mp3 files are not "optimum CD quality" anyway - you'll get the same effect with any connection type.

External hard drives are nothing like an iPod - they're just like an internal hard drive, but in a box outside the system. They do nothing different than an internal drive does already.

There are some external "multi-media" hard drive - is this what you really are looking for - for example click here and
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:56 19 Oct 07

ss a £60 version far inferior to a £131 version?

Far inferior No! just may spin slower which will have no effect on your files.

Are these units simply plug and play?
Yes if the drive is preformatted.
Easy enough to format if not by using Disk Management.

i-tunes prgrammes onto it?
Never like Itunes as always wants to store files in its own folder.

Will I be able to sync my playlists to my MP3 player from it?
media player will access the files from where ever you tell it to.

I understand Firewire and eSATA are far quicker and how do I know if my computer supports those connections?
Which is the best transfer type for optimum cd like quality?
Do you have a firewire and or ESATA port on your PC?
USB2 is almost as fast as firewire and will make no difference as far as MP3 is concerned

Buy a caddy and two drives, move all your tunes to one drive and then use something like Acronis to back up to the other drive.

pj123 14:31 19 Oct 07

Or buy one of these.

click here

I have 8 IDE drives ranging from 80gb to 300gb which I use for various operations. From backing up to storing.

The above adapter handles them all.

Or this one which will handle SATA drives as well.

click here_(with_Power_Supply)/product_info.html

pj123 14:38 19 Oct 07

Oops! second link doesn't work.

Use the first link and then select Adapters & Connectors from the list on the left.
Then USB to SATA adapters. Second one down £22.95. Accepts SATA and IDE and has its own power supply.

pompeyexile 21:52 19 Oct 07

Thanks for your advice guys it's a lot clearer now and nice to know the ipod isn't a necessary expense.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…