External Hard Drive spinning after "safely remove"

1s2a3l 01:26 11 Apr 08

My external HDD (which runs on USB - no power outlet) keeps spinning even after I click on "Safely Remove Hardware". Vista responds with the message: It is now safe to remove the Drive. However, should I be concerned when pulling the USB cable out as the drive is spinning and suddenly halts when the USB cable is pulled out.
Thx

€dstowe 07:47 11 Apr 08

I don't have USB powered external drives but, the ones I have do continue to spin after completing the "Safely Remove Hardware" procedure until I turn off the power. An exception is the WD My Book drives which do shut themselves down (the other drives are ones which I have placed in an external caddy myself).

wee eddie 13:15 11 Apr 08

that the "Safely Remove Hardware" parks the "Reading Heads" so you should be OK if there is no Power Switch.

woodchip 13:45 11 Apr 08

When you choose Safely remove, is nothing to do with drive spinning. It does that as soon as you plug it in unless its got a on off switch. Safely remove means it will not be writing to the drive when you pull the plug

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced