External Hard Drive Recomendations

banganappa 14:51 24 Nov 04

I think I want to get an external hard drive to deal with home/office file backups primarily, but would also find it handy to carry files around. Primarily want it to be fast and easy. I think 40GB - 80 GB should be ample and budget c£100 .Any recommendations ??

stlucia 15:13 24 Nov 04

I'm very happy with my 250Mb Maxtor One-Touch. It connects via USB or Firewire. Price was more than £100, but I know they do smaller sizes, so they may fit your budget. Yes, see the 120Mb at click here for example.

Carafaraday 17:33 24 Nov 04

I bought a Belkin case and put my old hard drive into it. I'm not at all technically minded so you can rest assured that it was very simple to do. I think that might be the cheapest way to do it - USB 2 connection is also very simple and I just drag and drop files, or select and copy. Not sure what the maximum size of hard drive the Belkin will support though - but you can just buy an 'internal' hard drive, slot it into the box, and plug it in.

JohnVord 18:07 24 Nov 04

I too want a backup for my laptop, having had a hard drive crash. I would like to be able to schedule it (I'm lazy!). Seems that external is better as if you lose your machine, you've still got the data.

JohnVord 18:10 24 Nov 04

Also, is USB 2 something special?

14all 18:15 24 Nov 04

I'm Very happy with my Maxor 80gb usb 2.0 or 1.0
£119 from PC World

alB 18:28 24 Nov 04

I bought one of these click here you can get cheaper drives, but I liked the small size of this one.
JohnVord, USB2 is faster than USB1 but it is backward compatible which means you can still use USB2 from a USB1 port although it will run at a slower speed....alB

JohnVord 18:47 24 Nov 04

Thanks alB.

banganappa 09:36 25 Nov 04

Thanks everyone

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…