external hard drive problem in Windows 7

I have just purchased an Iomega portable hard drive. When I plug it in, I get the windows signal confirming a new item, however, I can't find the drive in "device manager" All I get is a new entry at the bottom of the page - USB to ATA/ATAPI bridge. Any ideas anyone? the drive is spinning so should be OK.

David4637 12:32 03 Feb 10

Have you got to format the drive (FAT32 or NTFS)before it will be seen? David

MAJ 12:34 03 Feb 10

The drive probably needs formatted. Does it show in Disk Management? Start > Run, type in

diskmgmt.msc

and click OK. If it appears in there, select it and choose Format from the menu.

MAJ 12:36 03 Feb 10

PS Make sure you select the correct drive.

The drive doesn't appear in diskmgmt.msc so I can't format it.

john bunyan 16:14 03 Feb 10

I assume it does not show in " My Computer"? I have one of the mains version of these with W7 and it works fine. Had to format it to NSTC.What operating system do you have?

windows 7

john bunyan 16:44 03 Feb 10

Does it show in "Computer" ?

No, it doesn't appear anywhere. As I have slots for 4 different memory cards, I have the drive letters e-h allocated already, and there is no other drive listed except my dvd player

john bunyan 19:26 03 Feb 10

Do you have access to another PC (friends etc) to see if it shows there?

not at the moment. My brother is a programmer/analyst and he can't figure it out. His drive works perfectly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…