External Hard Drive problem Error Code 28

Irvster 22:15 11 Feb 09

Hi,

I have recently bought a buffalo drivestation 640gb external hard drive and while my system immediately recognises new hardware it wont install the hard drive. When i go to device manager it shows a yellow question mark and after right clicking, properties and update drivers i am told there are no drivers and told the hard drive wont install due to "Error Code 28".

After extensive time searching and downloading endless programmes (errorexpert,driverdetective,regcure,regmechanic) i still have the same problem. The buffalo website simply wont give any drivers due to the fact that the drive already comes with the software built in. I have tried the drive on my laptop and it works instantly so i know the problem is with my system and not the hard drive . My pc is a Packard Bell and runs on windows XP and my laptop is an HP and is on Vista.

Please can anybody tell me an idiot proof way to sort out this error code 28 problem? I really don't want to return the drive to the shop as the problem is obviously with my pc and not the drive so i assume i will get the same problem with any new drive.

I have tried it on all USB ports , Re-started my PC endless times an still it recognises new hardware yet refuses to install it....PLEASE HELP

bionicle 22:32 11 Feb 09

Have you tried the advice here click here ?

PSF 22:33 11 Feb 09

click here have you read this

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:38 11 Feb 09

Code 28

The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28).

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver

Solution button: Reinstall Driver

This code means the device was not installed completely.

To resolve this issue, follow the recommended solution. If that does not work, try removing the device from Device Manager and using the Add New Hardware wizard to redetect it. You may need to obtain updated drivers if the error still occurs.

Use Drive clean up to remove USB device drive info from the registry
click here

reboot then plug the drive back in and it should be recognised.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…