External hard drive problem.

heepster 26 Feb 12
Answered

I have a Hitachi 1tb ext hard drive which has been dropped. When I try and use it I get a message saying "Disk is not formatted" Any help would be much appreciated.Running XP sp3..

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 26 Feb 12

Oh dear

That sounds as if the drop has damaged the file system on the drive.

Test Disk will probably be able to recover most if not all your data from the drive as it appears the drive still runs.

Tutorial for test disk here

heepster 28 Feb 12

Thanks for this .Yes the drive still runs up.Will follow the tutorial and let you know what happens.Sounds complicated for me though!

heepster 09 Apr 12
Answer

Well I had an expert look at this and he has deemed the drive damaged beyond repair.ALL my files could be recovered , but at a HUGE cost..Thats what he said anyway.Oh well after backing everything up on this drive I now face losing the lot!

robin_x 09 Apr 12

Bad luck. As I'm sure you realise, backing up means making a copy on another drive, not transferring to another drive.

It might be worth asking more than one expert. With so many things in relation to PCs, it's all about opinion, rather than hard fact. And, as the proverb says: "If the only solution you have is a hammer, it's funny how every problem looks like a nail."

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message