external hard drive plays video in slow motion??

GUP1 16:02 24 Feb 10

Hi,

I've been putting some old home movies from vhs tapes onto my pc and then converting the films to .avi so I can put them onto dvd's. There were so many that in the end I had to get an external hard drive as I was rapidly running out of space on my computers hard drive. The problem I have now though is that when I copy over a file with these home videos on from my pc's hard drive onto the external hard drive, they play in slow motion in media player but the audio is fine. It's not a problem when I play a file from my pc hard drive only from the external hard drive. I have already had the problem of not being able to put more than about 40 mins worth of a video onto the hard drive because of the type of file system so I found out that I had to convert from FAT to NTFS which I have done.

The hard drive is a western digital 1TB and I have windows vista.

I would be really grateful for any advice on this

Thanks.

GUP1 17:56 18 Apr 10

Hi,

I've had no response to this so assuming nobody has come across this before? Thought I'd have one last check before I have to delete them all and start again!

Thanks for taking the time to read if you have.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:02 18 Apr 10

Sounds as if your drive is only running at USB1.1 speed instead of USB2 speed. (10 times faster)

Check in device manager that you have a "Enhanced USB controller" driver install and working i.e. not exclamations against it.

GUP1 18:11 18 Apr 10

Hi,

yes it says I have USB enhanced host controller, when I click on this it says the device is working properly. I have about 6 USB ports on the machine, will they all be USB2? Is there an easy way to tell?

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:16 18 Apr 10

I always plug external drives into the USB ports that are direct off the motherboard (usually the rear ones not the front ones)

GUP1 18:20 18 Apr 10

Yea, that's what I've done. I think I will just have to give up. It's so annoying, I keep thinking there must be an explanation but there doesn't seem to be anybody anywhere who has come across the problem or even gets what I'm on about. This is the only thing I've been able to check, got excited for a sec then! Never mind. Thank you anyway for trying to help!! I'm gonna go and scream into a pillow now!!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:47 18 Apr 10

HAve you tried defragging the external drive?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…