External hard drive permissions/security problem

kdroche 10:06 19 Sep 13

I have a external hard drive that I use with my PC (Windows 7) and I have recently got a laptop, How do I make it so I can use the hard drive on both, like take files, pictures or music or films and move them to the laptop, same with when a friend wants a song or film, how do I change the permission or security so I can use it where ever or whenever I want to use it other than my PC, I have tried loads of things and no luck and it is probably an easy fix. please help

Thank you.

T I M B O 10:33 19 Sep 13

Some routers have a USB socket, have you tried plugging your external drive in there?

kdroche 11:08 19 Sep 13

Router doesn't have a usb port

Press Man 11:09 19 Sep 13

Have look here click here it gives some guidance it may help?

Woolwell 12:39 19 Sep 13

I have an external hard drive which I switch between desktop and laptop and do not have to set permissions etc. I use it like a memory stick. Have you password protected your harddrive? Which make and model is it?

kdroche 17:02 20 Sep 13

it's an ADATA SH14

lotvic 17:36 20 Sep 13

Just plug it in and laptop will find it and list it in 'My Computer'(same as Woolwell says in his post)

rdave13 17:43 20 Sep 13

I don't know if this has any bearing on the problem but the users manual states that it is formatted to the FAT32 system but that shouldn't make a difference I don't think. When you plug it in to another PC does it show up in Disk Managment? If it does try assigning a letter to it.

Woolwell 18:16 20 Sep 13

It should be just plug and play on both desktop and laptop. I assume that it works on the desktop. It draws power from the USB port. Have you tried a different port on the laptop and checked its power settings? What is the laptop's OS?

Woolwell 18:16 20 Sep 13

It should be just plug and play on both desktop and laptop. I assume that it works on the desktop. It draws power from the USB port. Have you tried a different port on the laptop and checked its power settings? What is the laptop's OS?

Woolwell 18:18 20 Sep 13

Sorry about the double and late post. All seemed ok at this end apart from a slow post.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…