External hard Drive NTFS or FAT32?

phil.smith 15:53 13 Jan 07

I have just purchased a Seagate Ext HD. My main computer has two parts to the HD: C for the main programmes etc, and D for the installation files, etc which came instead of a CD.

The C drive is NTFS and the D drive is FAT32. The Seagate Ext HD is also FAT32, Do I have to change anything on the Seagate Drive ie make it NTFS?

Can I backup the C drive and then the D drive onto the Seagate without it overwriting anything?

Thanks

Phil

terryf 15:57 13 Jan 07

How are you going to backup? using True Image? click here or click here

phil.smith 16:01 13 Jan 07

I was going to use Acronis True Image 7 and do an exact copy of my hard drive onto the Seagate drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:06 13 Jan 07

D for the installation files, etc which came instead of a CD. D drive is FAT32

Uner NO circumstances change this drive to NTFS your PC restore will not work.
-------------
Do I have to change anything on the Seagate Drive ie make it NTFS?

If you want to save large files (EG video over 4G) to the External drive then it will need to be NTFS.
Remember older opsystems cannot see NTFS, so if you want to plug it into an old (* system better to leave as Fat32.

To convert your drives to NTFS:
Right click on 'my computer' and select 'manage'
From the computer management window, expand storage and select 'disk management.'
Using the 'file system' column of the upper pane of this window, you can easily check what file system each of your logical drives is using. Make a note of this information.
Now open a command prompt window by going to 'start\run' and typing 'cmd'
To convert a disk to NTFS, type 'convert (drive letter): /fs:ntfs'
So for example, if you were going to convert your C: drive, you would type 'Convert c: /fs:ntfs' at the prompt.
---------------------

Can I backup the C drive and then the D drive onto the Seagate without it overwriting anything?

Use some thig like Acronis true image to take a snapshot of the drive and save that to the external drive.

Miros 16:08 13 Jan 07

^

phil.smith 16:16 13 Jan 07

Thanks Fruit Bat

I wasn't going to change anything on my C or D drives. It was the Seagate Ext drive that I was wondering about. I'll leave well alone and just use Acronis to make a back up.

Will it back up the C drive and the D drive as separate parts on my Seagate Ext HD?

anskyber 16:23 13 Jan 07

NTFS is best for XP for the reasons set out here. click here

The image will "copy" all you have on your HDD if you ask it including the FAT32 as a FAT32 file for restore.

So, leave your internal HDD, reformat using Fruit Bat /\0/\'s solution for your external.

It will be fine!

phil.smith 16:44 13 Jan 07

I have started to convert but I am asked for the current volume label for the drive - what is this please?

phil.smith 16:55 13 Jan 07

Have managed to make the change!!!!

Many thanks all

Phil

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…