External Hard Drive - Not Working!!

acrocha2012 19:58 20 May 12

Hi, my External disk (USB hard-drive) is not working. Its a 160GB WD1600BEVT with an external enclosure and usb plug.

When I plug it to USB port the installation runs and says "device is ready to use" but it doesn't show up on my computer. Under Computer Manager I have the following:

•Under Disk Drives its shwon as "USB device" (says its working properly). •Under "Serial Bus Controllers" is shown as USB STORAGE DEVICE (says its working properly). •But nothing related to this disk appears under Disk Management... just have C:/ and D:/ (DVD). The same happen in two different laptops and a desktop.

Can you please advise me if this is likely to be an issue with the hard drive itself or with the external enclosure?

Any advise on how to solve is?

Many Thanks

Antonio

robin_x 20:39 20 May 12

Strabge if doesn't show in Disk Management on multiple computers.

Mebbe enclosure is faulty. Open it up and try cable and power as internal in a desktop or another caddy/enclosure?

Double check with miniTool Partition Wizard or Easeus Partition Master that it dosn't show.

robin_x 20:41 20 May 12

Check the drive PSU too (or it's USB hub PSU if connected that way)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:56 21 May 12

When I plug it to USB port the installation runs and says "device is ready to use" but it doesn't show up on my computer.

This sounds as if the USB side of the device is working and recognised but the hard drive is not.

Can you feel if the hard drive is running? Possibly a bad connection (power or data) in the enclosure.

Personally I would open up the device and attempt to remove the drive and connect directly to the motherboard of a desktop.

acrocha2012 13:28 21 May 12

Thank you all for responses so far.

I can hear the hard drive doing some noise when the installation is running ("click" type of sound).

Fingers cross its an enclosure problem (?)

I am awaiting for a new enclosure I bought on eBay and will connect the hard drive to it to see if it works.

In the mean time any advise is much appreciated.

Thanks

robin_x 13:33 21 May 12

Clicks ain't good.

Backup any important files on it to somewhere else.

Caddy will come in handy in future if not problem right now.

HDD Freexer is worst case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5