External hard drive not recognised-Help!

onion73 17:12 PM 05 Aug 12

Hi all...I bought a BUFFALO hard drive and transfered all our pics before replacing desk top for a new laptop (DELL INSPIRON) Problem is laptop doesn't recognise this device when pluuged in no prompts not showing anywhere...Really worried as all our wedding photos are on it...Any advice appreciated...Be gentle I'm not very PC literate :)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:59 PM 05 Aug 12
  1. is buffalo powered up?

2. check if drive seen in device manager or disk manager

onion73 21:04 PM 05 Aug 12

Hi Thanks,

Buffalo is powered up and not showing in either.

lotvic 21:23 PM 05 Aug 12

Do you have access to another pc you can try it on?

onion73 22:35 PM 05 Aug 12

Not at home will try in work tomorrow and let you know Thanks

lotvic 22:57 PM 05 Aug 12

OK, also do you have any other usb devices, usb flash memory drive or something you can try in the usb's on the new laptop? (to see if usb ports are working ok with other devices)

onion73 08:32 AM 06 Aug 12

Yea the my digital camera & USB stick all show up when inserted...I've been told it may be because the buffalo was formated to the old desk top and to re-format it will lose everything stored on it.There must be another solution.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:19 PM 06 Aug 12

Assuming windows 7 on your new laptop?

7 should see all file systems from previous windows formats

However this is nothing to do with file systems if the laptop even cannot see the drive in device manager or disk manager.

Can you see the buffalo in another machine? Have you thrown the old desktop away and what operating system did it use?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Lumia 950 vs Lumia 950 XL: What's the difference between Lumia 950 & 950 XL?

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Medium's new logo was designed

iPad Pro vs iPad Air 2 comparison: Which of Apple's flagship iPads is best for you?