External Hard Drive not recognised by computer

tristar 13:54 15 May 09

I took the hard drive from an old DVD recorder, fitted it into an SATA enclosure and plugged in to my computer.
'New USB device' recognised by computer, followed by 'new device ready for use'
Looked at 'My Computer' expecting it to show up as a new drive, 'F' in my case, but nothing showed.
Device Manager showed device attached to USB socket, and no conflicts showing. Disk manager reports a healthy disk, but I can't find a way to access it.
It also shows a low capacity disk in FAT format in Drive 0
I'd like to reformat in NFTS mode and use the disk as an external hard drive, but can't think how to do it.
I'd appreciate any help.
Using XP home edition.

Graphicool1 14:10 15 May 09

Didyou change the setting from 'Master' to 'Slave'?

Graphicool1 14:13 15 May 09

Of course the following will only apply after the PC recognises the drive...

Just go to the Command Prompt and execute the command:

F:\> CONVERT F: /fs:ntfs

Where F: is a name of the drive you want to convert.

After machine re-boot conversion process will start and you'll have your FAT32 converted to NTFS without of data loss.

tristar 14:37 15 May 09

Ah, now there's a thought. I suppose in the DVD mode this drive would have been the master. I didn't think of that!
Next question, how do I change the setting from master to slave?

Technotiger 14:43 15 May 09
  tristar 14:47 15 May 09

Thanks, Technotiger, there's a bit of reading for me to do so I'll do that and get back to you.

woodchip 14:48 15 May 09

In Disc Manager Remove the Partition on the Drive then Create a NTFS Partition if thats what your other one is. Then Format it in Windows by right clicking the drive

woodchip 14:49 15 May 09

I always thought Sata did not have jumpers on the drives

woodchip 14:52 15 May 09

And when a Drive is fitted in a USB Caddy it will only work when set to MASTER not SLAVE this only applies to IDE drives not SATA

Technotiger 14:54 15 May 09

Yes, good point - is it SATA or IDE? Does it have the narrow Red SATA connection cable, or a wide usually Grey IDE ribbon cable?

tristar 15:06 15 May 09

Label on drive says Maxtor 160GB SATA150 HDD

Enclosure came with IDE and SATA cables. I connected using the SATA cables, as per the label.
Having looked closely at the drive I cannot see any obvious jumpers.
Is it possible to use the IDE connectors instead?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…