External Hard Drive Not Recognised

jackdholmes 19 Jul 12

Hi All,

My 1.5tb Samsung Story Station has stopped being recognised by my computer. When I go to disk management, the disc shows but says the whole disk is empty when in fact it has lots of files on. The light flashes but it sounds like it's not getting enough power or something.

The strange thing is when I plug it into my tv (it has a usb port for playing video files), I can access all the files and watch the films etc on there with no problems. The light is solid when it is plugged into this which is what is expected.

Please can anyone help?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19 Jul 12

Refresh USB Ports Use Drive clean up to remove USB device drive info from the registry http://www.uwe-sieber.de/files/drivecleanup.zip

Reboot

then plug in drive and see if windows finds and recognises all the files

jackdholmes 19 Jul 12

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately that hasnt done anything.

It also doesnt work on a different laptop.

Is there a way of getting the data off and then formatting it? Would that do anything?

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Encore creates eerie effects for Spielberg's new TV show The Whispers

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message