//some 3rd party need geo

external hard drive II

mrcrow 14:25 28 Apr 06

i am going to buy a caddy to make a 3.5 external hard drive and have ordered a casing...it comes with power adaptor as suggested earlier..thanks
now i need to get a hard drive and have chosen a maxtor 80Gb/7200...do i need 2Mb or 8Mb cache...its only for storage...and is ATA133 the right one to get...
i get the feeling when its all together there is more to the job...
i have XP with SP2 and still using usb 1.0
will i have to do partitioning and formatting
if so how is that accomplished without any software to do it...?
mrcrow
manchester

Diodorus Siculus 14:29 28 Apr 06

The USB 1 will be somewhat of a bottleneck in this - the 8mb cache will not make any great difference.

When you connect up the drive, you can right click on My Computer, choose manage and then disk management. It should show up there and you can format / partition it as you wish.

EARLR 14:31 28 Apr 06

I would recomend that you get a much larger HDD you will be supprised how fast the space goes. get the largest cache possable. And if possable upgrade to usb2 or firewire.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:08 28 Apr 06

2 or 8Mb will not make any noticeable difference. You do not need to partition as you can use the HD like a huge floppy. There is no need to partition in 2006;-)) It may need to be partitioned then you can dump programmes on iyt and run them from it. It does not need an OS or software as your main OS will be the running system. USB 1 is a slower transfer speed but mere mortals will not notice the difference.

G

mrcrow 19:20 28 Apr 06

Diodorus Siculus
EARLR
GANDALF

many thanks problem solved...i didnt know about the disk management...lol..i can see my 2 40Gb discs there, both partitioned....

i have only 5-6Gb photos but i think i will get a bigger drive...my wife may be doing some digital video later and even if i get a bigger machine i have the space to store..

i will be upgrading to usb 2.0 as well after i get the drive connected...and got a lot of help here on that subject..

while i am at it ...i see 2.0 controllers with either NEC or VIA chips...any comments?.

will leave this thread open for any other comments..
reall glad i found the site...cheers
mrcrow
manchester

Totally-braindead 20:02 28 Apr 06

click here or click here just as examples

mrcrow 20:06 28 Apr 06

Totally-braindead

smashing...!!...after the bank holiday i will get the dabs one...i have used them before and as i just thought i could be upgrading next year and would get a 2.0 usb machine...£ 6.00 seems great ..i have seen some at £30..??
glad of your post
cheers
mrcow
manchester

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…