External Hard Drive Identity changed

Chop33 21:06 09 Dec 06

I have a 160gb usb 2.0 external hard drive which I attach to my home PC. The hard drive contained approx 70gb music, photos, movies.

I attached the hard drive to my father's PC because I needed to move files to his system which is a 5 year old HP Pavillion. However, when I went to view the contents of the drive it had been renamed from USBTECH to HP_PAVILION and the contents are pretty much identical to the structure of my father's C drive - i.e. 'program files' and 'windows' folders. The music, photos - all exisiting files had vanished.

I wasn't too worried because I guessed that his older PC may not be USB 2.0 compatible and that I just could not see the true contents.

However, I re-attached the drive to my own PC and it is still called HP_PAVILION and still doesn't contain any of my files. I have been on the web all day since trying to find a solution but I'm at the end of my tether

The only progress I've made is spending £23 on a product called File Recover. It has detected 6791 files (I was expecting more) but it is taking FOREVER to restore files. It is not giving a time estimate but I reckon it will take WEEKS to restore it al at the current speed.

Someone please HELP. I'm out of ideas and lost without my music!

VoG II 21:09 09 Dec 06

Try Drive Rescue click here

Flying Teddy 21:43 09 Dec 06

Or may I humbly offer PC Inspector click here

namtas 21:47 09 Dec 06

This is worrying as I intended to use my spare hard drive to hold different PC back ups looks like you can not do this from your problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…