External Hard Drive Help

The Teacher 15:04 07 Jun 10

I am wanting to buy an external hard drive for my aging PC, I cannot afford yet a new one.

What I want to do is to be able to take everything off the PC drive "C" EXCEPT for the OS (Windows XP Pro). However, what I don't know is what files the OS uses and I obviously don't want to cock it up.

I need to do this so that I can speed up the operation of the PC.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks

The Teacher

T I M B O 15:08 07 Jun 10

I use 2 of these and i find them excellent>> click here

Software for backing up>> click here

The Teacher 15:13 07 Jun 10

Thanks TIMBO but will the replicator transfer everything to the external drive or can I pick and choose?

If I can pick and choose I need to know what files the OS uses to leave them on the desktop drive.

kidsis 15:13 07 Jun 10

I agree, the best thing to do is back up/image the whole drive to an external. If you really did not want to do this you could copy your "my documents" folder to the external drive. But, in the event of anything going wrong with your hard drive (you say the pc is old), I feel it would be best to image the drive so that you have the operating system, programs, and also your personal data, on the external. (FWIW, I use acronis which is a paid-for program).

T I M B O 15:19 07 Jun 10

The replicator will do anything you wish it to do regarding backup. I put everything i have in "My Documents" and just backup it up on the external hard drive with a click of a button once it's all set. The 1st time you run this may take sometime, but once all the data is on the external it takes no time at all to repeat the process at a later date.

I very often backup everyday because of the amount of data i move or make during the day.

T I M B O 15:22 07 Jun 10

What kidsis suggested there is great providing the install of XP or any other OS is new. I have and never will use such software myself, but that's all down to user choice.

HondaMan 16:38 07 Jun 10

Don't move Windows, Program Files or any system or hidden files. Good advice is to clone your HDD first, then move all but the above. If the computer still works ok then you have been successful

Rahere 16:58 07 Jun 10

It's not clear what you want to do - do you want this as an external backup or are you looking to separate your windows installation from your data?

For a backup all you need to do is copy the folder under Documents and Settings with your user name - C:\Documents and Settings\JoeBloggs - This holds all your Documents and IE favourites

Separating data - if you plan to reinstall XP often or upgrade in the future - install Windows XP on C:\ create another partition for Data on D:\ or use a separate drive completely.

Most of this is taken care of in the installation process for XP. The only thing you have to do is to reassign the My Documents folder to another drive or partition when set up is complete.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5