EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE HELP

MARKKBOY 23:34 02 Mar 08

Bit of a novice at this but I have put an old laptop hard disk in an enclosure as it has files /data i need but i can not access this on my new machine,i do not want to format disk for obvious reasons.Can any one advise if i have not done something i should have done,when i attatched the enclosure i thought i would see contents etc on my new pc.Grateful if anyone can advise me of steps i can try next.Enclosure is Asaka Integral/Hard disk is Western Digital WD600 2.5" from a Dell laptop.Thanks Mark.

Totally-braindead 23:44 02 Mar 08

I don't know about this sort of problem, two things do occur to me, is the drive actually working and is it set to master?

I have an enclosure with a 3.5" drive in it and it worked fine as long as its set to master.

UncleP 02:32 03 Mar 08

First and essential check is to look in the Disk Management page to see if it is detected at any level. If it is not there, you have a problem with the HD itself or its connection to the computer. If it is, but doesn't appear in My Computer etc, then usually some initialisation or similar process is required. Don't format it, even if requested to.

UncleP 02:41 03 Mar 08

In case you need it, route to Disk Management page is

Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management

Look in sections on the right-hand side for an entry or entries which clearly refer to your external HD.

tullie 06:10 03 Mar 08

This doesent help,but i have put mine in enclosure in the past,plugged in USB,and thats been it.

bruno 08:10 03 Mar 08

I did this a year ago and had a slight problem. It turned out there are two types of hard drive.One is Sata and the other is something I can't remember.To cure my problem there was a second,small lead missing which I had to buy for about £1.50.Sorry about the vagueness of the details but it was a while back.My computer was new at the time with the latest hard drive and the hard drive I was trying to use was several years old.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…