External Hard drive + gaming PC

bionicle 23:24 27 Jan 15
Answered

My son is moving away from prefering console gaming (Playstation 4 + X box one) to PC gaming via steam. Im running windows 7 with an i7 processor 4gbRAM and Nvidia GeForce GT 630 graphics card. I was planning to increase the RAM anyway but how much would be good for a good gaming experience. Is 8GB alright or should i go for 16GB? Other issue is the size of games being downloaded need more hard disc space. I feel confident enough to put the additional RAM in but would he be okay gaming wise to put his Steam games on an external hard drive rather than internal?

tullie 00:16 28 Jan 15

I just tried a download in steam,I dont think it gave me the option to save it to a different drive?

rdave13 11:26 28 Jan 15

The external drive would have to be usb 3 or e-sata I would imagine. You'd be better of putting another drive in the PC. 8 GIG of ram should do but more is usually better for gaming.

click here

bionicle 20:56 29 Jan 15

Thanks for the responses. I only have usb2 so would this be fast enough to run a game stored on an external drive?

rdave13 21:15 29 Jan 15
Answer

No. Have a read from the gaming experts here.

bionicle 21:34 29 Jan 15

Thanks rdave13. Very helpful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…