external hard-drive and games

noobtype 13:12 27 Jul 07

Hi

Is it possible to install a PC game onto an exernal hard-drive on one PC, then plug the device into another PC and open up the game from there?

The reason I ask is my PC just refuses to install a game (keeps finding a corrupt disk error) but it installs with the same disk just fine on my work PC. The work PC is a far lower spec than my home one too - and i've never had nay problems before. Really strange..

thanks

Technotiger 13:22 27 Jul 07

I don't think this would work. When you install a game, whether on internal drive or on external drive, certain elements are I am sure installed in Registry - so those elements are needed to run the game, the Registry items cannot be put on an external drive.

No doubt someone will soon correct me if I am wrong.

Technotiger 13:24 27 Jul 07

PS - you might get the game to install if you first clean-up your Registry, perhaps running CCleaner click here might help in this respect.

noobtype 13:30 27 Jul 07

I'll try that thanks

It's the new online Lord of The Rings MMO game - so I even tried to download the client from the old beta trial and then patch it up to the full game, which I was informed by the publisher would work. It didn't - different errors arrise during installation. I'm close to giving up as nothing seems to work. Just infuriating as I know it can handle any other game.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…