External hard drive full size not recognised

TallTom 14:44 23 Oct 04

Just had a my computer refitted (new hardware put in and a few things taken out)

My old 60GB HDD that was the main drive in my computer (i've now got just a 40GB HDD in the computer) is now sitting in a caddy acting as an external hard drive so i can take it to college and back.

The problem is when its plugged into my computer it only recognises it as a 30GB hard drive. I had this problem before when it was in my computer but solved it with a piece of software (whose name i can't remember) that made the computer recognise its full size.

Anyone know what that piece of software might be and where i might be able to find it.

My computer: Win 2000, Motherboard - MSI MS-6712 1.0, External HDD - IBM 60GXP

Any help is greatly appreciated, cheers

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:59 23 Oct 04

Hard disk tools :-
Seatools click here
WD Data lifeguard click here
Maxblast3 click here

Any one of these should do it but not sure if it will work via an external caddy.

jack 17:09 23 Oct 04

Any of those will do it but dont forget that
Hardrive sizes are nominal, based on a factor of 1000 Mg = 1 Gbyte when in fact actual figure is
1024Mb=1Gbyte something like that.

TallTom 14:00 24 Oct 04

will any of that software work with an IBM drive though?

TallTom 15:28 24 Oct 04

tried all of those hard disk tools you mentioned Fruit Bat, they either don't even register the external drive or they see it as a 30GB same as windows does.

Any ideas?

bremner 15:32 24 Oct 04

Are you trying to format it using XP as a FAT32 drive.

If so XP will only format FAT32 up to 32GB. To go above that you will need Maxblast 3 for DOS (or similar) click here

TallTom 20:11 25 Oct 04

No i'm using Win2000, and i've formatted it as NFTS. And it says there's only 30GB

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:59 26 Oct 04

Some new drives have a jumper that Clips their size to 32G so will work on old op systems.

Check the 32G clip jumper is removed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…