External Hard Drive Freezes Windows Explorer???

trenty12 18:02 01 Oct 08

Hi, really hoping you guys can help me out here!

Im on Vista and have got an external hard drive which i use for when i backup. However, when I plug it in with the USB and turn the drive on, Windows Explorer just freezes and I cannot access it, until I unplug the device and restart explorer.

I have plugged it into another PC which runs on XP and works perfectly. So I then took everything off it and put it on that PC and re-formatted the drive, however it still freezes on my Vista PC???

Also, i have ran it in safe mode and seems to run ok then??

As far as im aware external hard drives dont need drivers? So i really dont know what I can do?

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Thanks a lot

rawprawn 18:47 01 Oct 08

Reinstall the drivers.

trenty12 18:57 01 Oct 08

hard drives dont use drivers....

rawprawn 20:49 01 Oct 08

The USB's do.

lynken 22:37 01 Oct 08

External drives via usb do not need drivers as they are recognised as mass storage system, do you use any other usb devices on your vista? Plug your usb drive into vista and then go to control panel/system then select device manager and see if your drive has a yellow question mark with it. it may be the case that you need to update the drivers for your motherboard as most drivers are supplied with XP in mind and not vista. hope this helps

woodchip 22:48 01 Oct 08

First open Explorer, then plug it in or switch it on. You may be trying to do too may things at once if its only a single chip CPU

lynken 23:05 01 Oct 08

Woodchip, you are so wrong

woodchip 09:19 02 Oct 08

WHY

woodchip 09:21 02 Oct 08

Check BIOS to make sure USB Legacy is enabled. If it is try with it Disabled. Do not forget to save setting before you exit BIOS

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…