external hard drive deleting complete folders -why

motherlode 20:14 15 Dec 05

I have an 80gb external hardrive which has taken to deleting complete folders with no warning. One minutes the file are there then they're gone. Have already lost some really important files, but luckily backed up fairly recently. When I try to open files direct from the programme it says they are corrupt and to run chkdsk - but not sure that's going to help and have heard it may be a bad thing. Have managed to rediscover excel and word documents from opening 'my recent documnets' and renaming them - but no luck with Photoshop or Quark files. Cannot delete the empty folder as it is 'corrupt and unreadable'. Am not a computer genius - not even near - but need the computer to be stable all my work is on it. Can anyone help please?

Forum Editor 22:42 15 Dec 05

1. How long have you had this drive?

2. Is it formatted as FAT32 or NTFS?

3. I presume you're using WindowsXP?

4. Does the drive have more than one partition, and if so, does the problem apply to both/all of the partitions?

5. Have you tried to use the drive with another computer?

wee eddie 23:13 15 Dec 05

My Maxtor has just renamed one of it's partitions as a "local drive" and denied me access to it.

Maybe something here will give me an idea on how to access that partition. The drive has 4 NTFS and a Fat32 partitions on it (don't ask: It seemed like a good idea at the time) and it's one of the NTFS Partitions that's gone.

p.s. I am not trying to Hi-jack the thread - Just watching.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…