External hard drive connection problem

Novis 00:53 02 Oct 05

I am having difficulties connecting an external hard drive, which my Sony Vaio will not recognise. Connecting it via a USB cable results in the following error message:

"Power Surge on Hub Port: A USB device has exceeded the power limits of a hub port."

I am able to reset the port, but unable to connectthe external hard drive.

Suggestions please.

zarobian 09:14 02 Oct 05

USB Port can supply only 500 MA, which may not be sufficient to run your HD. You may need expernal power source for your HD, if it allows to do so.

zarobian 09:15 02 Oct 05

Sorry external power source

Novis 16:30 02 Oct 05

The device is equipped with an external power supply; nevertheless the error continues to occur.

Any suggestions?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:36 02 Oct 05

What exactly are you connecting to?

USB port

1 direct off motherboard

2. port on PCI card

3. port on hub plugged into port on board

Should work direct offf mother board or you may need a powered hub

Novis 20:02 02 Oct 05

I am trying to connect a 300Gg external hard drive in a safeCom case to my Sony Vaio via the UBB 1 connector.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:10 02 Oct 05

External cases are usually USB2 although should run off a USB1.1 port but slower.

I surgest if you have a spare PCI slot you buy a USB2 card and plug the drive into that it should solve your power problem and upgrade the speed at the same time (Approx £10)

woodchip 21:04 02 Oct 05

If you put this drive in the case, the Drive should be set to Master. Then in XP look in Disc Management to set a drive letter

antruth 10:32 05 Oct 05

I'll give this a try.

woodchip 11:33 05 Oct 05

also connect the drive direct to PC USB port

woodchip 11:35 05 Oct 05

Forgot to add, check the connectors are the correct way round on the drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…