External Hard drive caddies

Billdebonnet 02:35 05 Oct 09

`I have a external hard drive caddy so that I can use my old HDD to view and check my old items, and now I want to format the old HDDs but it will not format But it Plays and shows everything else.Please can anyone help as funds being low as a pensioner I donot know what to do? Thanking you all in Advance

howard64 06:20 05 Oct 09

check the properties of the hard drive in the caddy and see if it is showing as read only? If so you should be able to change it. Also try starting in safe mode and this may work. If all else fails you could open the case and connect the old drive as a slave in the main system.

sharpamat 08:04 05 Oct 09

Connect up your caddy with the drive in it.
Open your computer icon and you will see the drive. Click it once which will highlight and then right click select format.

The longer route is go to windows help and support and search for format drive this will give you the instructions. basically they are from control panel open computer management/select storage/ disc management/

This should open a new window showing all drives and partitations.

Select the drive in the caddy first deleat the partitions/ then make a new partion, then format it.

Billdebonnet 12:46 05 Oct 09

Thank you both for yor threads and will go up to the microsoft web site and seeif it will resolve the issue, Thanks Billdebonnet

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos