External Hard Drive Cable

rabbitrabbit 18:02 02 Sep 05

Bought a new EHD the other day. but i think i only have USB 1.1 on my computer. so the transfer rate is very slow.

i do, however have firewire. but i can't find a cable anywhere with 6-pin firewire at one end, and usb 2.0 and the other end that will go to the back of my external hard drive.

the only other option i suppose is buy a USB 2.0 port. which i'd rather not do right now.

any ideas?

woodchip 18:17 02 Sep 05

USB2 will only work on XP without the Correct drivers for the Hardware you get

GroupFC 18:19 02 Sep 05

Are you sure that the EHD supports firewire? and if it does didn't the cables come with it? (they did when I got mine!).

DieSse 18:38 02 Sep 05

" but i can't find a cable anywhere with 6-pin firewire at one end, and usb 2.0 and the other end that will go to the back of my external hard drive."

Because there isn't one - the two things are not compatible. If you have Firewire on your enclosure, there will be a Firewire port on it as well as a USB port - otherwise you don't have it.

GroupFC 18:47 02 Sep 05

That's what I thought but wasn't sure enough to say!

freaky 19:07 02 Sep 05

Why don't you purchase and instal a USB2 PCI Card, they are just as quick as firewire.

jack 20:56 02 Sep 05

If your EHD is USB than that is what it is - Firewire is a different technology.
as stated a USB 2 PCI card is the answer -quite cheap less than a tenner at a computer fair or even your local independant shop.
PCW will wanr more -of course
Less by mail order but postage on top.

woodchip 20:59 02 Sep 05

Don't forget what I said above. You could be wasting your money on a card

freaky 10:08 03 Sep 05

The Belkin USB2 PCI Card that I bought last year from PCW, included a CD with drivers for non-XP configured PC's. The PC I fitted the card into had XP so did not load the drivers, therefore cannot comment if OK or not.

rabbitrabbit 13:55 03 Sep 05

ok thanks. decided to get USB 2.0 this morning. so far so good. works fine i think. tried swapping over some files and it was much faster :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…