External Hard Drive - always spinning?

Graham ® 20:15 18 Oct 05

My new Freecom hard drive is spinning all the time, so I disconnect the power when not in use. Is this normal? For the hard drive, that is. Not for me to disconnect the power.

VoG II 20:17 18 Oct 05

No it isn't normal, or at least mine doesn't.

Graham ® 20:27 18 Oct 05

My neighbour, who works from home and has several computers and USB hard drives, said it was normal. But I'm not so sure. I have put stuff on it and deleted it OK.

So now it is empty, and the activity LED only flashes briefly on startup, but it keeps spinning.

VoG II 20:30 18 Oct 05

This is mine click here and it only spins when reading or writing.

Graham ® 20:36 18 Oct 05

Ahh, mine is mains powered.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:41 18 Oct 05

Have a harddrive in a caddy USB2 mains powred appears to be spinning all the time as get very warm.

I unplug it when finished (If I remember)

Graham ® 20:45 18 Oct 05

Their forum, under Support, seems very new
click here
You have to register.

seedie 20:46 18 Oct 05

Umm-don't all hard drives spin continuously unless they're powered down under "power management"?

If you wanted to acces data on yer HD you wanna wait 'til it gets up to speed?

CD

freaky 20:58 18 Oct 05

Have a Maxtor One Touch, this has an one/off switch. If I leave it switched on, then it automatically goes into standby mode after a certain period.

I don't think the fact that your drive is spinning all the time is anything to worry about. But to save wear on the mechanism, I would switch it off when not in use.

Ancient Learner 21:13 18 Oct 05

My caddy HDD is always spinning as long as the power switch is on. In fact, it interfiers with a boot up if it is switched on with a fault recorded that says something N- - - is missing ( I forget what exactly it says!). I always try to remember to switch it off, and it does make more noise than the whole PC.

woodchip 21:19 18 Oct 05

The hard Drive does spin all the time "red light" on, "Green light" means it reading writing to drive Mine is mains powered through a Power Adapter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…