External hard drive and all-in-one printer

Skinn 11:17 21 Jan 05

Hi all,

Thinking about getting an external HD, am I right in saying that this would replace backing up to CD, Floppy etc? Are they difficult to set up/use or is it just a cse of plugging it into the USB and then saving data to it? Ebay have a 160GB one for £80 - is there any particular spec I should be looking for?

Also, I am thinking about getting a HP 6110 all-in-one - any thoughts on this modeL? What about the running costs i.e. ink?

Thanks in advance,

Skinn

handful 12:32 21 Jan 05

Hi Skinn - I have just bought a 80gb usb hd from ebay for £59.95 + around £6 for p&P and it was a breeze to install. Just run the supplied driver disc and plug in and all was ok. It just shows up as a removable drive (J: in my case) and I only turn it on when I need to. I would only recommend however if you have usb 2.0 unless you only want to save smallish files.(unlikely as why would you need more space!) If you were to do a ghost image e.g. it would take an age to write on usb 1.1
Hope this helps
handful

Skinn 15:55 21 Jan 05

Thanks Handful. I don't need more space ( just got new pc with 160Gb hdd) just a neat and convenient place to back up files in the event of my hdd going kerput.

Do you (or anybody else) think this is preferable to backing up to CD, Floppy etc?

Cheers,

Skinn.

TomJerry 16:07 21 Jan 05

(1) really do not understand why you buy it from Ebay which is not cheap and difficult to sort out warrenty

as a comparision, you can get 160Gb for £77.41 from Ebuyer (not ebay) click here

(2) spec-wise, look usb 2, if it got usb2 and firewire, it is a bouns

(3) backup: yes, it is very easy and very fast, but if it goes belly-up, everything gone with it, with CD option, you only lost one CD if one CD damaged.

(4) personally, any backup needs two copies and each produced by different method and store in different locations (one in home, one in office if possible)

Skinn 16:25 21 Jan 05

"as a comparision, you can get 160Gb for £77.41 from Ebuyer (not ebay) click here"

Thanks for the link!

"spec-wise, look usb 2, if it got usb2 and firewire, it is a bouns "

My pc doesn't have a firewire - is that a problem?

"backup: yes, it is very easy and very fast, but if it goes belly-up, everything gone with it, with CD option, you only lost one CD if one CD damaged"

Skinn

Yes but is it not unlikely that the hdd on my PC and the external hdd go at the same time.

Skinn 12:04 26 Jan 05

Does anyone know much about the HP 6110? Is it a good machine? What are the print costs like?

Thanks in advance,

Skinn.

Chezdez 12:07 26 Jan 05

not having a firewire is not a problem, USB 2 will do just fine

amd keep a back up on CD as well, in case someone decides to drop the new harddrive, and it smashes to a million-gazillion pieces

Storik 12:49 26 Jan 05

I have recently purchased and Epson Stylus Photo RX600 and must confess to wishing I had gone down the HP route.

The RX600 is extremely fussy as to how you load the paper - a real pain in fact - and is extremely slow to respond when connected to the computer.

However, on the plus side, when using it as a stand alone machine, copying, scanning and printing directly from camera memory card is a breeze. Photo quality is very good.

All in all though, I'm pretty disappointed with it and would recommend finding out more on the HP.

Storik

PS the RX600 is nowhere near as quiet as my HP 1220C printer.

Skinn 22:46 12 Jun 05

Lidl have a 250GB external hard drive:

click here.

Is this good value and does it have USB 2 or firewire?
I want to back up the hard drive on my PC - how easy is it to do this to an External HD?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…